Open source is the source code that is made freely available for possible modification and redistribution. Generally, open source refers to a computer program where the source code is available to the general public for use or modification from its original design. Code is released under the terms of a software license. Depending on the license terms, others can download, modify, and publish their version. Hence Open source allows the users to copy, modify, or delete parts of the code under their own discretion.
Magneto: Magneto is one of the best open-source platforms to build an online store. Following are the reasons why it is considered the best.
- Magneto offers flexible, scalable eCommerce solutions which give the flexibility to customize. This platform has the ability to change and also has the potential to be modified to meet the requirements of shop owners. Hence it is an important open-source platform with high customization facilities.
- Magneto, eCommerce retailers are able to freely select the hosted platform of their choice without sticking with one hosting anymore. This provides, greater freedom for all online shopping businesses to have their own files and also be selective with different hosting companies.
- Both the free community edition and the enterprise version of Magneto incorporate the HTML5 platform to maximize the mobile shopping experience. Hence using magneto the eCommerce store will always be optimized.
- Magneto provides easy multi-platform integration. Using magneto one can easily integrate third-party add-ons and modules to your Magneto store. This platform allows any modification without any restriction. The platform also allows shop owners to add Google Analytics and other such third-party integrations (like eBay, PayPal, Mail Chimp, etc.) to their site, which aids in their data analysis.
- Magneto provides much better speed. The upload time in magneto is very less.
- Magneto is an SEO-friendly content management system (Magneto SEO). It contains lots of SEO features like search-friendly URLs, sitemaps, product titles, keywords, meta tags, and meta descriptions. Magneto also includes analytics for tracking web visitors. This is one of the most prominent features of Magneto.
Shopify: The most striking difference between Magneto and Shopify is the open-source vs. closed-source software debate. Magneto boasts a fully open-source platform and Shopify is a closed-source one. Shopify established itself as one of the platforms to create an eCommerce store for any business. However, it has a lot of disadvantages including the fact that it is not free and it has minimal customizability.
Woocommerce: WooCommerce is an open-source, completely customizable eCommerce platform. WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the most popular software. Working on top of the world’s most popular content management system, WooCommerce seamlessly integrates commerce with content. Everything you need is in one place. From physical products and digital downloads to subscriptions, content, and even appointments, you can sell anything with WooCommerce. WooCommerce is entirely open source, which means you can modify and customize anything and everything. Because you have complete control, you can add unlimited products and users, and take unlimited orders. Some of the important characteristics of woocommerce are –
- WooCommerce runs on WordPress, recognized as one of the best platforms for SEO practices.
- Woocommerce has a good reporting platform, here one can view sales, refunds, and coupons over time.
- Highlight important products throughout your store
- Show related products to help customers find complementary products or encourage them to purchase more.
- Offer coupons for their whole cart or certain products.
- Here one can easily maintain Inventory and Order Management
Hence for businesses who want to develop a long-term professional eCommerce site, one must choose Magneto over Woo-commerce.