Hashtags are fundamental to how Twitter works and operates. These hashtags enable keyword and topic-based categorization and hence allow users to easily follow topics that are of immense interest to them. They also enable tweets to be easily displayed easily on a Twitter search.
Over the years we have seen the power of hashtags for activism across the world. These humble hashtags have also become one of the most valuable assets in modern marketing campaigns and norms. Companies that have carefully thought about their hashtags have been able to grow brand awareness and have been able to create a brand of themselves.
Brands often create hashtags with their brand name or create a memorable hashtags for a campaign they are running. The best hashtags are the ones that combine both the brand and the campaign as these are truly memorable and associate the brand with its activity
Hashtags have great importance to marketers as they help to achieve the marketing objectives:
- They can create visibility of the brand.
- The tweets with proper hashtags highlight the campaigns and promotions.
- They allow the brand to join a conversation too.
- If the company is able to position itself with proper hashtags that are not used by other competitors. It will help the brand to stand out in the competition
- Using hashtags helps to follow events, we can use the event hashtags to join the conversation that your brand supports. Hence it encourages real-time commentary and impressions.
- Hashtags help you to engage with trending topics. Interacting with trending hashtags allows your brand to be top-of-mind and generate engagement outside of your brand-focused tweets, taking part in a broader conversation that’s important to the majority.
- Using hashtags helps to promote thought leadership to an existing conversation
- Hashtags help and make it easier for people to discover your brand. If they are following a hashtag, they will see any of your tweets that include that hashtag. This increases your reach and visibility.
This blog delineates the importance of Twitter hashtags.